Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Beginning of the Speed Cycle

We have already spent months on aerobic development.  The past month was hills and the beginning of leg speed work.   The next 4 weeks are all anaerobic development.  These weeks are a cycle of sprint workouts and interval workouts.  Today, I completed just my second interval workout.  It felt a little harder than the first, but it turned out to be a little faster.  It’s too early to know if the speed is coming, but today showed me that the earlier work is paying off.

Back in March I ran a fairly well attended 8K.  My pace was good and I felt good about my 5th place in my age group.  Looking at today’s intervals I looked at my pace during the 5 full miles I measured at the track. Again, these are 400 meters at interval pace and 400 meters at a jog.  The average pace over the 5 miles measured was 7:03/mile, or 13 seconds per mile faster than my 8K race pace.  This was great evidence that the volume and intensity of the past few months are indeed paying off. 

If you are a beginning runner who is getting serious, let me put this progress in perspective.  My first club run was a 4 mile race in June of 2006.  I felt like I was going to die and my pace was 8:25/mile.  Now, just more than a year later, my hard training pace is just over 7 minutes per mile.  You can do it too.   As for my speed work, only time will tell. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home