Sunday, October 15, 2006

The First 10K - Building Speed

I waited a long time to do my first 10K. It was today's Fort Worth Runners Club - "Mercury 10K." It was a cool day and rain slowed things down a bit.

I followed the advice of my boss, Don who had run numerous marathons before back troubles put him to walking in his late 50's. He suggested that I force myself to come out slow for the first mile and then start picking. By that he meant for me to spot someone 100 or 200 yards ahead and try to be past him or her before the next mile. Just continue with this tactic after you pass each target.

This seems to work well for me. I cam in at 48:23 or a 7:48/mile pace. Still 10 minutes behind the winner, but I was more than satisfied. This felt better than my normal 1/3rd approach, but I am not sure. Food for thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home