Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Invincibility Lasts But a Moment

Yesterday I spoke of tremendous progress.  Coming off an endorphin high can do that.  Today, was to be an easy day and my sprints workout was just that.  My overall pace was just 8:45/m.  Toward the end, I felt a pain creep up and tug below my right calf.  Did I pull a muscle?  Perhaps something worse, a tendon?  How quickly we can go from euphoria and invincibility to great concern.  To me this is part of training on the edge, wherever your edge happens to be.

So, tomorrow I will likely bypass the interval workout I had planned and go to our gym for some serious spinning.  So, I will massage, ice, maybe even say a prayer for guidance as I try to hit the precise level of intensity that gives me progress without overtraining.

The point of all this is that I believe we all see ourselves as invincible until we get hurt.  You don’t have to be 18 to fall into this trap, but as you get older, you are more likely to suffer from this inflated self assessment.  In the meantime, enjoy the feeling, but keep from over extending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home