Monday, October 13, 2008

Chicago Marathon

So, I have decided to start blogging again about running.  If you are reading this, there is probably some good insights in here.  I stopped blogging just before Chicago last year.  It was the hot and memorable 2007 race.  So hot they stopped it.  I was trying for a 3:30 to qualify for Boston.  I was ready, but it did not happen that day.  We come a full year later and here we are:

I was looking forward to a nice flat, fast, and cool marathon after last year here.  2 out of 3 is not bad.  Anyhow, Ellie Alexander, Kim Gray, and Santos Salinas were also running.  We had a great pasta meal Saturday and I think I downed at least 600 grams of carbs throughout the day.  I skipped the beer. Before the race I loaded up on oatmeal and electrolyte capsules which I also took during the race along with 6 GU’s.   The heat was the only issue.  Some cool breezes, lots of fluids, huge crowds as usual.

I must have checked the weather 40 times in the past week.  It seemed like every time I looked, the morning low was forecasted higher.  55, 57, 58, 60, 61…  When I woke up Sunday it was already 67 at Soldier Field and most of the other readings were 62-65.  It was like last year minus the 90 percent humidity and maybe 5 degrees cooler.  I felt pretty good and was in the B corral so I did not have quite the wall of people around me this year.  Thankfully is did not approach the 80’s like last year.

My goal was 3:20 and my plan was to just try to stay under 7:30 (I needed to average 7:38) as long as possible.  I never did hit a wall, but my legs were pretty weak by Mile 22.  I had to dial it back to 7:45 for the last 4 miles before the sprint for the finish.  My calf muscles began to spasm before I got to the free beer.  Thankfully they had a lot of people to help and lots of ice.  I missed the obvious tactic of crossing Lake Shore Drive and standing in Lake Michigan.

At Chicago there is a lot of walking.  So, this helped along with the 4 Motrin, a massage, water, and electrolytes.

I was very happy with the result, but it was nowhere near the emotional rush of Cowtown this year.  Maybe next year, Chicago will have Chicago weather while I run St. George with Jeff Wills.  It will probably snow in Chicago.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home